Ok, so maybe I’m getting a little ahead of myself, but I fully expect to see that sound byte showing up in newsfeeds around the world at some point in the not-too-distant future! In this post, I’ll depart from my usual style to talk a bit more personally about our community and my personal hopes and expectations for the future of Tampa Bay.
As an owner of a small business in the Tampa Bay area and a member of the Tampa Bay community, I want to see something great happen here in Tampa Bay. I’m sure you’ve all heard these sound bytes:
- Tampa is the strip club capital of the world. (While there is little evidence to support this, there is still a widespread belief out there that it is in fact true!).
- The Tampa Bay area is ranked first in the state for staged auto crashes.
You get the idea. But when was the last time you were out for a drink with a friend from out of town and they mentioned any of these:
- Tampa accounted for 41% of the job growth of the entire State of Florida in 2012.
- Tampa was recently named #1 for innovation by Fast Company.
- NerdWallet found that we are the 6th best city in the country to start a business.
… well … Yup, that’s what I thought!
There is a lot of talent in Tampa Bay and there are a lot of great things happening! As I write, Sean Davis and company just concluded a very successful Ignite Tampa Bay. Startup Weekend Tampa Bay will take place in early June. The Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation is gearing up for MediFuture 2023 – the kickoff event on May 13, 2013, to make the headline I shared above a reality. And Florida Blue, University of South Florida’s Center for Entrepreneurship, and University of South Florida Health’s Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation will be holding the 2013 First Annual State of Florida Healthcare Innovation Competition on May 14, 2013.
With so many great things happening, now is the time to get involved and to help write history. I’m in. Who’s with me?!